Tuesday 8 April 2008

31st March - 6th April 2008

Training Monday 31st March- Sunday 6th April: I was beginning to think that my running in 2008 had been cursed. What else could explain the constant injuries that scuppered the second and more important half of my cross country season? And now I truly know I am cursed! I was following my osteopaths directions to the letter. One run a day, real steady, and of only twenty to thirty minuets in duration. I'd even been give a full bill of health by him on Monday morning and was told I needn't come back for a month. So Monday afternoon I headed out on to Epsom Downs thinking my injury problems were done with. Ten minuets of gentle running later I stumbled on some uneven ground. Something I've done a million and one times before but this time, with my luck I didn't get away with it. As I corrected my fall I severely pulled my calf muscle. I knew it was a bad one straight away. Normally you can continue for a bit, but two strides later I had to stop. I could hardly walk let alone run. So for forty minuets I hobbled, ashen faced back to my car. I could not believe it, it's not even related to my previous injury, something you'd expect, it's a completely fresh one for me to fix.
After stretching, massaging, adding ice and heat to the injury I knew it was going to be another couple of days if not a week before I ran again. So Tuesday morning I got my speedos and goggles out again!
Having done quite a few swim sessions recently I was beginning to fancy myself as a bit of an Ian Thorpe! I'm never over taken in the pool, in fact I do a lot of over taking. Ok so it is madly retired folk, and pregnant women who frequent the pool during the day but they've probable been swimming a lot longer than me, I must be a natural! So as I gamely swam up and down, I began to think about a change of events. I'd really started to sway myself to becoming a swimmer, especially as they get interviewed by Sharron Davies, that nearly sealed the deal! But then came Thursday and I did my session later than normal, and as it was after three thirty there were a few scholl kids with me. I still had the beating of them. They were distracted my standing on giant floats and bombing their mates! Then I noticed a little girl no older then eleven was swimming up and down my lane. Two seconds later she was over taking me doing the butterfly! My dreams of meeting Sharon shattered, I shifted my focus back to getting my fitness levels back up, so once I'd rehabbed from my calf pull I was ready to roll straight away. But on Friday and for the rest of the weekend I stayed away from the pool, not that I was afraid of the little girl! I just fancied a change, so I hit the bike. Maybe I could be the next Lance Armstrong! Who interviews him?

No comments: