Tuesday 8 July 2008

Training Monday 30th June - Friday 4th July

This weekend, I’m travelling up to Leeds to make my British League debut in the 5000 meters, so this week my training schedule has been tweaked to allow me to be in the best possible shape for Saturdays race. That entailed reducing my overall weekly mileage, as well as easing back on the intensity of many of my steady runs.

However my disastrous race, the previous Saturday, threw a large spanner in the works. That race was intended to provide me with two things. Firstly I hoped it would be a big confidence boost, which it most defiantly was not, and secondly it was supposed to give me an idea of my fitness levels and along with that, an idea of the pace I would be able to handle in Leeds. Even though I knew I was in good shape, doubts began to cross my mind. I had certain time goals that I knew I was more than capable of achieving but I didn't have that concrete evidence.
I felt trapped between a rock and a hard place. On the one hand I wanted to rest up so my body was fresh and capable of working to its maximum potential, knowing however this would not prevent the doubts from creeping in. On the other hand, should I push hard in training and prove to myself I was in good shape, at the expense of being fully rested?!
In the end I managed to find something of a happy medium. I eased my steady runs on Monday, Wednesday and Friday back even more than I would normally, which allowed me to increase the intensity of my sessions on Tuesday and Thursday. This gave me the physcological pick me up I needed, as well as a full recovery phase.
Tuesday’s session worked wonders. Two sets of 800, 600, 400 and 200 metres. I decided to really go for it during the first set and I certainly did that, running faster in training than I can remember. I think I may have even produced my fastest time over 200 meters ever! For the second set I didn't push myself as close to the edge. I was still pushing hard, I just wasn't bent over double at the end of every repartition, which may not have made much difference physically to my overall recover for Saturdays race, but physcologically I felt I was leaving plenty of unused gas in the tank.
Thursdays final pre-race tune up involved running a leg of a local relay race, run over a two-mile course. On paper it was ideal, a nine-minute work out, in a low-key race, in a very relaxed atmosphere. I even requested the third of the four legs. I was hoping to be in no-mans land. Too far behind any of the leaders to think about catching them up and too far in front of any of the others to fear being caught.
Sadly that didn't happen and I took off in second position one hundred yards behind the leader and the same again in front of third place. To make matters even worse I train with both men, knew they were in good shape, and that they would love nothing more than to put one over me! In the end it actually worked out well. I had a great run, gained a few seconds on the leader and gapped a few more on third. I felt strong yet controlled throughout. I gave it ninety seven percent, those last three I was keeping dry for Saturday!



Leeds 5000 Metre Track:

I experienced the true glamour of athletics for this race. Driving up to Leeds in a cramped mini-bus that had certainly seen better days. (We nearly lost a member of the squad out of the back door, which had a bad habit of opening whilst we were on the move).
I ate my pre-race meal in a service station on the M1 and stayed over night in a Travelodge, which from the sounds of it had a family of elephants staying in the room above! However, I don't think I would have changed a thing!
We arrived in the stadium early on Saturday morning. My race wasn't until late in the afternoon, so I sat in the stands and watched the athletics unfold amongst everything the great British weather could throw at it. High winds, torrential rain, thunder and lightening, you name it we had it. But by the time I started my warm up the weather was perfect for distance running, overcast and cool with only the slightest of breezes - brilliant.
By the time I had my toe on the line however the clouds had dispersed and it was hot and humid - not ideal. Fortunately, I've overcome the physcological barrier I had with the weather and it didn't even cross my mind that the conditions could affect my performance.
The gun went off and I knew after the first lap I was going to have a good one. I was in the zone, I was focused on myself and those I was racing and nothing else. We were circulating faster than I'd ever run for the distance before, but I felt ridiculously comfortable. The race had split into two groups. There were two leaders, one of whom represented Britain at the cross-country world championships, lapping a couple of seconds faster than me in the second group of six. At half way I was still feeling good, tucked in behind the leader of our group who'd been lapping consistently. I really wanted to push on, but because I was into the unknown I was nervous too. A lot can happen in two and a half kilometres and I didn't want to blow my chances of setting a new personal best by being over exuberant.
So I stayed where I was.
With four laps to go the pace began to fluctuate as we battled for position.
It was at this point I had my one bad patch. I fell to the back of the group, but after just one lap I had recomposed myself, moved back through the pack, and even hit the front with two laps to go. I was just testing the waters and slipped back of the pace and onto the shoulder of the group leader, where I remained until there were 150 to go and the mass sprint for the line commenced, as six of us fought it out. We were spread across the track in a single line, as no one was able to make that decisive move. With fifty to go my arms and legs began to flail around all over the shop, as I used that last three percent I'd saved from Thursdays race. It wasn't quite enough to win the race within the race.
I crossed the line fifth, third from my group, but more important than my position was the fact that I 'd improved my personal best by almost 20 seconds. I was elated. I'd run faster than ever before yet still had the energy to sprint to the finish. I know there's still more time to come off.
I felt so comfortable with the pace that I now know I can push it on faster and not fear having the wheels come off. It shows that I really am getting into great shape and if I can improve over 5K, which is a little short for me, and do it on the track, which is my least favourite surface, I can do even bigger damage in the longer races on the road later this summer. It's definitely full steam ahead!

No comments: