Tuesday 3 March 2009

Monday 12th January - 18th January

With my foot still sore from the blister, or to be accurate, the wound where the blister was ripped off, it was always going to be tough doing a long run.
Having switched my sessions around on Sunday to shorter (more manageable) runs, I had a long cardio workout to do on Monday.
My foot was healing but a ninety-minute run was never going to help it, so I opted instead for a session on the static bikes in the gym. It wasn't going to be as good for me as a run, but it was better than nothing.
I knew it was going to be tough, an hour and a half going nowhere! It was going to test my mental resilience to the max. I took my seat and began pedalling.

The first thirty minutes were quite enjoyable. Cycling was a novel experience and I could feel it working different muscle groups but as time wore on the monotony of what I was doing took hold. It was a battle not to look down at the clock every ten seconds, it was definitely a chore to do it. With fifteen minutes to go, and the end in sight, I began enjoying myself a bit more so I kicked in with a long run for the finish. I'd be lying if I said I enjoyed it or that I'd do it again in a hurry, but it showed me that my mental toughness over long time periods was good, a skill I felt needed improving in order to make a future attempt on the marathon.
The job was done, I got off the bike, my feet didn't hurt, I'd had a long workout and I had that happy glow of satisfaction across my face.

I wanted to do my normal training on Tuesday night, so just to err on the side of caution I missed out my Tuesday morning run, to give me more blister recuperation time! I bandaged my foot up securely for the evening session and cautiously donned my trainers. Was I being silly doing speed work, as a first run back, on a bad foot?!

Not only was it speed work, it was hill climbing. My foot would be pushing greater forces through it, increasing the chances of a set back in the healing process. However, the wound was looking so much better and was pain free to walk on, with plenty of cushioning from the bandages, so I headed off to training.

Conditions were good for the session, which was to be 12 repetitions of the hill climb, roughly a minute and a half of running per rep, with a jog back down to the start. The session was OK. My foot came through unscathed, which was my key goal. I felt good running the reps, but struggled to keep up with the group on the recovery jog back down. My legs were a little tired, understandably, from my bike endurance ride and I knew that if I kept up on the recovery jogs I wouldn't finish the session and if I did I would see a dramatic fall in my hill times. So, I decided to let them go and do my own thing. My times varied by only two seconds for the whole session which I was very pleased with. I finished it, and was in one piece, so I was more than happy with my evening's work.

My foot rehabilitation continued on Wednesday. It had survived hill reps easily, now it had to face a long run. I was set seventy-five minutes by my coach, which I always like to do off road whenever possible. I find it is better for my mind and body. But with my dodgy foot I didn't want to wear my stiff and less forgiving off road trainers. So I spent some time slipping and sliding, like bambi on ice, in my road shoes, in thick mud!
Aside from the muddy sections it was another solid run. I was relaxed, other than when trying not to fall on my backside, and running well. My foot was up to it and was no longer an issue.

Thursday was tempo day. I can't recommend tempo running enough. For me it's the session that gives me the most back. I get a long run, a hard cardio work out, variety of pace and a great indication of how I'm running and where my fitness is at.
This run told me I was in good nick. I felt really strong, as if I was flying along at a rate of knots, but without ever getting close to all out. I love the feeling of running well and knowing that you're holding something back and that there's more to give. It gives you confidence and motivation for the races and training that lie ahead. Thursday was finished off with a very cold, steady six miler with my club.

Friday was rest day, no longer my favourite day of the week! A real sign I'm running well and enjoying it. Unfortunately I made one small error of judgement on Friday night. I got sucked into a world of gluttony as my chocolate addiction hit me hard. With cream eggs on special offer I never stood a chance. I wish they'd put a limit to the numbers you can buy at any one time! Nine in one sitting is a few to many!
On Saturday morning I paid the price with a lethargic body. The fuel it had received was not up to the standards it requires and unsurprisingly it didn't fire on all cylinders. The session was a ten-minute tempo, followed by seven long gradual hill reps. I didn't run that badly, I just lacked the zip I'd had recently. There was more speed in my legs but I just couldn't get to it. No real harm done, but next time I'll maybe just have seven eggs!

Sunday was back to normal this week and a long run, out and back along the disused railway line between Cranleigh and the South Coast. I didn't quite get to the seaside and back, but enjoyed a long flat hour and three quarters. It was a change not to have hills breaking up my pace every couple of miles, which meant I got into a really good rhythm and managed to keep it going pretty much throughout the whole run.
So, another week done. Lessons have been learned, wounds have been healed and fitness is improved. What more could a runner ask for!

No comments: