Friday 15 August 2008

Monday 4th August - Sunday 10th August

I went through a strange period in my training this week - slightly inconsistent would be a generous way to describe it. All my key, hard sessions went well and without a hitch, but the rest of the time I was lacklustre.
I almost couldn't face putting on my trainers to get the mileage into my legs. Psychologically I couldn't enthuse myself unless it was a hard session. Mentally I felt a little drained, and the long lonely miles I need to put in didn't fill me with any joy. I struggled mainly with just the thought of running them. Once I was out there with my trainers on it wasn't too bad, but I wasn't setting the world alight, more going through the motions. Perhaps having had four days of running with friends whilst in Cornwall pampered me too much. Your thoughts and concentration aren't a problem when you while away the time chatting. Pushing myself during sessions, my concentration levels weren't a problem, which was a big relief for me, and I took comfort from the fact that my fitness and speed weren't a problem. Perhaps it's just a dip or perhaps it’s because things are winding down a little towards the end of the summer season. Maybe it's too much to expect myself to be 100% focused 100% of the time. At least I've got plenty to talk about during my next sport psychology session!

I'll keep to the good part of my training, as I've already learnt that psychologically negative thoughts have a much larger impact on your mind than positive thoughts. You need to put in positive blockers to stop the negatives taking over, so I've forgotten all about the dodgy runs!
Tuesday's track session was again a great work out. I'm pushing myself much harder than when I was circulating the track whilst training on my own. I'm at least a couple of seconds faster per rep than I was before I switched groups. We completed a session that I had previously enjoyed during one of my first times out with the new group. Two sets of 1200 metres and 3 x 400 metres, with another 1200 to finish. We ran the session differently this time round, slowing the longer 1200 reps down, concentrating instead on running the 400's at a quicker pace. Getting the legs used to a faster pace, so that come race day when your lapping at a slightly slower more sustainable pace it feels a little easier, at least to start with anyway.
Thursdays run was a bit of a monster solo effort. A fifteen-minute warm up, twelve minutes tempo run, 8 x 30 second fast strides, another 12-minute tempo run and a fifteen-minute warm down. It was a hard and very long session, but I haven't felt as satisfied on completion of a workout for a while. I think a lot of the satisfaction came from producing a quality session on my own. I kept the pace high throughout and worked as hard as I would have in a group run.
I take a lot of heart and encouragement from the fact that I'm still running good sessions. I would be a lot more worried if I was running my hard runs poorly but my easy/steady runs well. It's just a little frustrating as I've been running so well for two months, and I just want to keep that going. Possibly I could do with an easy week to recharge the batteries. I guess I can't be take, take, take with my body and have no give.

No comments: