Wednesday 10 September 2008

Training Mon 25th August - Sunday 31st August

Training seemingly goes from strength to strength. My body seems to finally be getting used to doing three speed sessions a week. No longer am I unable to walk down stairs unaided the morning after a hard work out - now I just shuffle down on my backside!
With each training run I feel stronger, due to the fact that I'm in the middle of my longest spell of unbroken quality training for a long while.
I know I'm also enjoying my running a lot more. I'm now more enthusiastic than ever to run round the track, something I never really enjoyed (more tolerated), and with that comes an improvement in the times I'm knocking out during my track sessions.

This week was a mixture of 1200's and 800's totalling 6 kilometres worth of running. Not only am I running the reps faster, I'm also now back into my old 'Mr Consistent' ways, with less than two seconds difference between the end time of each rep.
Doing fast sessions with a group twice a week has enabled me to improve greatly the quality of the tempo session I complete on my own. It no longer seems like an impossible chore. I'm more motivated as to what lies ahead when warming up on my own, which had been a problem in the past. It's difficult to prepare yourself to run hard and to push through that pain barrier every week when it's only “me, myself, I” completing the run. It's all up to you, which was hard when two thirds of your quality work was done on your own. But now it's just a third of my speed work it's so much easier. I also feel it's actually a chance to do that little bit more to gain some kind of advantage over the rest of my training group, so the next time we're together I can work them that little bit harder.
My favourite session now is easily my Saturday morning run in Richmond Park. I love the length of each session. We start before ten in the morning and finish well after twelve. I also now really appreciate the way my coach will mix the session up with tempo runs followed by sprints or hills. This week was a fast ten-minute tempo, followed by five, two minute hill runs, and a final eight-minute tempo run to finish. I enjoyed every single minute, until we came to the warm down. My group are all ready well and truly sick of hearing me moan at how I detest this final act. Having given my all (mentally and physically) to complete the session I just can't be bothered with any more running. I know it's vitally important to do it, so begrudgingly I will always do one. I tell myself of how it will aid my recovery, flush out all the toxins from my aching legs, enabling me to recover faster, and be it some sort of fit state for the next run. But it does make me wish I'd parked that little bit closer every time!
The puzzle is really starting to come together now, and I'm enjoying every minute, apart from the warm downs! I feel confident that things are on plan for some great races; all I need to do now is run one.

No comments: