Tuesday 10 February 2009

Mon 29th Dec - Sunday 4th Jan 2009

This week was a case of my body letting me down (with some bad timing), and of mind over matter.

The County Championships were a big goal for me. Last year I finished second and I hoped to have another strong showing. Unlike last year where I peaked at the Champs and then failed to make any progress as the season wore on, due to bad form and injury, I was determined that Saturday's race would act as a marker, indicating to me my form, but not becoming the highlight of my season.

The week started off well enough. Monday passed with two extremely easy and relaxed runs. Tuesday evening session was OK as well. We were on the road completing a session of 6 x 1200 metres. I didn't want to push myself as far as I would normally. With the race only days away, the session will have little positive effect and is more likely to leave me fatigued. So I pushed to a point and completed the session feeling both strong and positive about my fitness and leg speed. But by no means was I bent over double at the end of the session.

On Tuesday evening I started to feel a little off colour! It was nothing major, but I could tell my body wasn't 100% healthy. I did all I could to refuel sufficiently and kept my liquid intake high.
I woke up on Wednesday and felt the same. It wasn't quite enough to warrant staying in and as I only had a relaxed 45 minute run planned on Epsom Downs, I carried on as normal. The run was fine but as the afternoon wore on I began to feel worse - my throat was sore and I was extremely tired.

I couldn't believe it - a cold less than four days before an important race. I really wanted to show people that had questioned my result the season before that it wasn't just a fluke, although I'm unsure how you fluke a result in cross- country! I knew that I had very little chance of being in top shape and that my result wouldn't be a fair reflection of the form I'm in.

So for the rest of the week I stayed in, keeping my feet up, eating well, and drinking lots. Thankfully the cold stayed off my chest and hadn't quite developed into full-blown, snot infested, man flu! But I still felt rough, and my throat was quite raw. I ummed and arghhed about whether to run. I wanted to compete but didn't want to make matters worse by turning a one week cold into a three week lay off.
I phoned my coach and explained my situation. As well as wanting to do well in the race, I wanted to qualify to represent Surrey at the Inter Counties in March, the County Champs acting as the trial. A top five spot guarantees selection and with nine in the team a top ten spot could make it, as people often opt out, or are ill and injured. My coach urged me to run if possible, as to miss the race would mean I would most likely miss selection for the Inter Counties!

As soon as he said I should run I stopped all talk about illness. I put my workman's hat on. I had a job to do and moaning about how I felt wasn't going to help me get a top ten finish. I told myself I was in good shape, the days off I'd had trying to get over my cold were a thorough rest, so my legs would feel as fresh as ever come race day. I was determined to go out and do my best, to get the result I needed.

I woke on Saturday morning to a heavy frost. I wasn't sure if it was a blessing or not. I normally like a bit of mud to break up the rhythm and allow my strength to show through. With the frost it would be hard under foot, making the race faster but with my cold this could be a good thing. I wouldn't work my body quite as hard, which would hopefully prevent my illness from taking hold of my race performance.

I kept myself busy, preparing my kit and sorting my food and drink out, distracting my mind from how I was feeling. I took myself off to the race on my own and early. If I'm waiting on others I get agitated. My pre-race stress levels seem to only show their face when I'm travelling to a race. Once I'm there I relax and can get focused again.
During my warm up I didn't feel great, but I was really well wrapped up and rarely feel good running when I'm not in shorts and t-shirt. I was ready to go.
As I knew a top ten place would be good enough that's the pace goal I set myself. I didn't need to be up the front. If I could keep myself inside the top ten, I would be working my body as little as possible. The easier I took it the less chance there was of my body giving into the bug.

Once the gun went and things settled down I actually felt full of running. But with seven and a half miles to go I kept a lid on things in about 9th place.
I was just focussing on running, my position in the race and on staying relaxed and in control of what I was doing. I was ticking off the miles maintaining my top ten spot. I felt comfortable with how things were progressing.

With a lap to go I suddenly became aware of a group gaining from behind. I suddenly fell back as I was overtaken. 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th, I had to do something, 13th was not good enough. I dug in and used a down hill section to re-overtake and moved myself up to 8th. From then on I didn't look back. It was 'head down grind it out' running. I focused solely on the runners I could see ahead. If I could gain on them it would hopefully pull me away from the others.

It seemed to do the trick. With a mile to go I was clear in 8th and all I had to do was bring it home, which I did. I was exhausted and my warm down was a run back to my car, as any more would have finished me off. As evening came I was over taken by the dreaded man flu. My nose was snotty, I was hot although felt cold, but I was content and happy. I was almost as pleased with my performance this year as I was last. I did a job, I set myself a target and I achieved that target. I hadn't let negativity affect me. It was a real mind over matter job and gave me a real satisfaction. Now my focus turns to my handkerchief and resting. The quicker I get over this, the quicker I can start planning for the next big race and another opportunity to show the shape I'm really in.

No comments: