Tuesday 3 February 2009

Monday 22nd - Sunday 28th of December

This week is probably (psychologically speaking) one, of the toughest weeks of the year to be out running. Everyone else seems full of Christmas spirit, be it Sambuca or malt whiskey! The house is cosy, the fire is on and the Christmas tree stands sparkling in the corner, but I’ve got to go out and run!

The week took on a different shape to normal because of Christmas, but began with my normal 40 and 30-minute runs on Monday, and my Tuesday morning easy 30 minutes.

With temperatures in minus figures in the evening Tuesday’s session was hard work. To start with the track is slippery, meaning you’re constantly concerned that injury may lie around the next bend, and you have a major lack of grip, thus slowing you down. The temperature also means your muscles aren’t as pliable as normal, forcing you to make shorter stride lengths and therefore slower times. Your body is taking in lungfuls of freezing cold air, which it has to heat, leading to wasted energy and greater fatigue. Getting your body temperature right is also difficult. The more clothes you put on the warmer you get, but your natural body movement is hindered by every extra layer, even when I use the equation ((clothing + temperature) x session length) / how tired I get = optimum training performance!

The session was actually not that bad, but I was suitably tired on its conclusion. I know because the next day my legs didn’t want to move, 20 minutes felt more like an hour. But it did its usual magic trick and left me feeling fine for my evening 50 minutes. It’s like I start the day using my Grandmas legs, whilst mine stay tucked up in bed resting, ready to perform as normal less than 10 hours later.

My coach Robin Dixon gave me an early Christmas present. When he set my weeks training on Tuesday he gave me Christmas afternoon off. After a steady five miles I was instructed to have my Christmas dinner then put my feet up in front of the fire. Which sadly meant I couldn’t help clear away the 12 dirty dinner plates, three roasting tins, multiple utensils and any other dish my Mum could lay her hands on. I guess that’s why little brothers were invented!

Boxing Day morning was the time for my clubs annual Handicap race on Epsom Downs. A three-mile blast that pits seasoned distance runners against the clubs shot putters, sprinters and dodgy veteran athletes that have done way more training than they let on. I’d love to win this race, the pride, the honour, the achievement and the fact you get a blooming big trophy! Sadly I never stand a chance, the others are off well before I’m called to the start. Some have already completed their first lap before I set off, and in a two-lap race it means I’ve lost before I even start! To try and get my self a favourable start time, this year I dressed as Santa. I told the timekeepers I was over 300 years old and that I’d just had a very busy day! But they quickly saw through my cunning disguise, I must have been the skinniest Santa ever seen!

So I set off dead last and didn’t win, but I had a great run, I felt fast and really enjoyed myself. I don’t think any dog walkers and bike riders cheered anyone else on, and I’m almost positive they didn’t have their photo taken by complete strangers. I had to console myself with the idea of being the fastest Santa in the land, especially as a close friend and bitter rival had won. He took great pride in informing me that he’d been finish for couple of minutes, and has phoned me regularly ever since to bask in his glory!

The next day it was back to business and a seriously hard session to complete on my own. I was back in my normal running kit, much more practical but not as much fun! My coach set me a 20 minute warm up to be followed by a 15 minute tempo to be completed over undulating terrain. After a 5 min recovery I was to find a hill, and run up and down it 10 times for 45 seconds a rep. This was tricky as I can run a lot further in 45 seconds down hill than I can up hill, but I quickly found by jogging up the hill during my recoveries I found room for both. It was hard work but running downhill really got my speed up. I love downhill running during races so to emulate it in training can only help. The session felt like it had had real benefit. A good endurance base, followed by strength work up the hill and speed work down it.

I finished the week with a shorter than usual run on Sunday. Only ten miles was set, as I start to ease back ready for the County Champs the next weekend. My body is looking forward to an easier week, as am I. I don’t have to push myself out the door so often and for nowhere near as long, which makes me more relaxed. I’m not constantly thinking about my next run, when I’m going to do it and how soon I have to recover from it before I have to go out again. Time to re-ignite my Christmas sprit!

No comments: