Wednesday 14 November 2007

Saturday 10th Nov: Epsom Downs Surrey League Cross Country

Result - 1st

Race Report:

I was really looking forward to the race, my legs felt fresh and ready to go and I was really mentally focussed on running hard and performing well. Living a stone's throw from Epsom Downs I knew the course like the back of my hand and knew exactly where I was going to make surges in order to test my opposition, where I could ease back, and where all the tight twists and humps were so I could attack them and gain an advantage. I got a good start for once and hit the front after a hundred metres. After about three hundred metres there was a tight turn followed by a long down hill stretch through long grass and into the wind. I made my first attack going into the corner and down the hill. Whether the opposition weren't expecting it so soon into the race I don't know, but I managed to gap the field straight away.

I was running fast but felt comfortable and grew in confidence having broken away so quickly and so soon. I extended my lead throughout the rest of the first lap. Surging and easing back where I had planned. On the second lap I pulled slightly further ahead but it became more of a tempo run than a race. I didn't have anyone to push me hard so I got a little lazy as the hard work was already done. I finished just under a minute ahead of the second placed runner who had beaten me at the Silverstone Half Marathon which had been one of my best races. I was really pleased with how it all went, I was really focussed throughout even though I backed off a little during the second lap, and it was the strongest and most controlled I'd felt during a race for a while. It will be interesting to compare how I felt in this race to how I'll feel during next week's race, which I'll run after a full hard weeks training.

No comments: