Tuesday 6 November 2007

Sunday 4th November: Hell Runner

Result - 2nd

Race Report:

Hell Runner is a race that takes a lot of its inspiration from fell races, but rather than one long climb and descent it hits you with what must have been well over twenty short sharp hills on varying terrain, including sand, mud and large rocks. And just to spice things up there are three water sections, one invitingly called the bog of doom! Having never competed in a race like this I was a little anxious as to how I would fare.

The first three to four miles were relatively easy going, not unlike many cross country races I've done before. But for the remaining seven miles the terrain worsened. With climbs that you had to use your hands to scramble up and rocky descents that I would normally look at and run away from! I ran really well and enjoyed the whole painful experience. I was running with the winner until the four mile point. He was an experienced professional fell runner from the Lake District, well used to this sort of race. It was the descents where his experience over me really told. I could keep with him on the flat and up the climbs but he was a lot braver or should it be foolish at running down hill at speed over uneven, near vertical descents. The water sections really sapped the energy right out of my legs. I hit the first water section feeling relatively bouncy and twenty metres later I wondered if my legs had the power to climb the hill that grated you on your exit!

I finished a minute down on the winner in second place, and was well pleased to be so close after eleven miles of running against a more experienced and better prepared runner. However I have promised my legs that I won't go near a hill for a while!

No comments: