Wednesday 19 December 2007

Saturday 8th December: Bansted Woods

Result - 1st

Race Report:

I decided to turn up to one of my favourite race series: the UK Time trials, and headed for my most local run held in Bansted Woods. With an eight mile race on Sunday I was looking for more of a tempo run rather than an all out race, but my competitive side easily got the better of me when I spotted a face on the start line I recognised from my junior days and I knew if I wanted to win and gain something of a scalp I was going to have to run hard.

Sure enough it was a fast race, I decided to fall back slightly in the hope that he might relax a little and the pace would slow but it wasn't to be. On the second of the two laps I worked hard up a tricky hill to draw level, then waited till we hit the long slope back to the finish to make my move. Thankfully I had enough leg speed down the hill to move clear and held onto the finish to win by five seconds. Having wanted an easy run I managed to produce my fastest time trial time on the most difficult of all the courses and in wet slippery conditions. I even manage to dip under the course record.

No comments: