Wednesday 19 December 2007

Sunday 9th December: Hogg's Back Road Race

Result - 3rd

Race Report:

The Hogg's Back road race was my next challenge. An eight mile race that includes a climb well over a mile in length half way into the race. My race didn't start well. For the first mile I felt tired and heavy legged and slightly uninterested in racing hard. But after an undulating second mile I began to feel stronger and got myself into a rhythm and began working hard. I worked my way through to third place by the time I reached the summit of the Hogg's Back. I could see second place ahead but the guy out front was in a class of his own on the day, and was out of sight. For the next two miles I slowly inched my way closer to second, and I really felt that I could catch him in the last two miles. Unfortunately I hadn't accounted for the leader tiring slightly and coming back into view. That was the carrot my opponent needed, and he pulled away from me a little in the last two miles instead. I was happy to finish third and felt it was a strong performance. I had passed six miles in close to a personal best for the 10k which is 6.2 miles in old money on a course not compliant with fast times. So I headed into Guildford town centre happy with my weekend's work, but I'll be well prepared for the the truly hard battle that is Christmas shopping!

No comments: