Monday 11 February 2008

Sunday 10th February - Lloyd Park League Cross Country

3rd

Race Report:

I was a bit lacklustre before the race. Knowing I wasn't in the shape I have been and that I wasn't going to be racing at the new levels I've reached so far this season, I wasn't really in a racey frame of mind. I was more content to do a bit of sunbathing than get myself ready. I did warm up eventually but it didn't fill me with confidence. I felt ok but that extra 10% was missing.

I was hoping that the pace would not be too hot to start with, but given that my team mate Phil was in good shape and in the race I didn't hold out much hope. He always hits the front hard at the start; he just can't seem to stop himself! Thankfully I was pleasantly surprised as he went off steadily for once in his life which made things a lot better for me. I was able to get myself together, get into a decent rhythm and sit in behind the leaders. I knew that I was going to struggle to get the victory, my main aim was to be as close to the winner as I could be.

Before the start of the second and final lap my team mate hit the front, I slotted into third and it pretty much stayed like that to the end. I had a good rhythm which is what got me round, but I just didn't have enough gas in the tank to make any more of an impression on the leaders.

I was actually quite satisfied with my performance. I was less than 10 seconds behind the winner, which considering I was far from 100% was pleasing. I can now be reasonably competitive in races when my fitness levels are down which shows me how much my overall fitness has improved.

No comments: