Thursday 27 November 2008

Training 10th - 16th November

Yet again the races were coming thick and fast. I had another two this weekend, the South of the Thames Junior and Hell Runner!

Although I wanted to do well, I wasn't prepared to sacrifice a weeks training for them. If anything, I thought I'd work harder in training to see how well I coped running on tired legs. I hoped that the extra strength work I'd been doing at the gym would pay dividends, and ensure that I didn't 'wash out' in either race.

So my week followed it's tried and tested format. Seventy minutes worth of running over two runs on Monday, for which I was feeling great, running freely and feeling fresh. Tuesday’s easy thirty-minutes before track in the evening. The session was broken in two, something we haven't done since the end of the summer.
To start, we tackled four 1200 metre reps. I was comfortable with this part. I was feeling relaxed even though I was working hard. Then the fun was over, 400 metre reps followed, 5 of them. One lap to a distance slogger like me seems hardly worth bothering about. I struggle to get my legs spinning round fast enough in the summer, so knocking them out on a cold damp night wasn't going to be fun. I started off well but was soon put in my place by the sheer speed of Great Britain's Olympic 1500 metre representative Susann Scott who has been training with us recently. Her body's well used to reeling off quick 400 metre laps whereas mine is happier doing an hour or more in the mud. I did all I could for the remainder of the session to keep in her slipstream. The final 100 metres were the worst. The group would take flight off the final bend almost effortlessly, whilst I was very much putting in the effort! My legs were all at sea. Running fast is not my strong point, but I actually came away from the session happy. I'd kept the same pace throughout and was pleased with how I'd coped with a mid winter burn up.

Wednesday morning run is always hard after having pushed myself on Tuesday - my legs are always tired and a little stiff. Having made my little legs move round so fast on Tuesday, this mornings run was particularly painful. But I got it done, and it makes my evening run so much easier. Your legs are no longer heavy and the stiffness has eased, you enjoy it so much more because of how easy it feels in comparison to the first run of the day.

Thursday was back to my old favourite 15/15/15. 15 minutes warm up, 15 minutes tempo, 15 minutes warm down. I felt particularly strong and covered more ground than normal during the tempo without pushing myself any harder than I'd done in previous weeks. A sure sign that I'm getting stronger. Rather than do my normal pre-race easy run with strides I decided to take Friday off. I've not had a complete days rest in at least a month so decided that it would probably do me good to take a break. All work and no play makes Will a very dull boy!

Saturdays race was five miles of cross-country fun in Croydon! I love racing in Lloyd Park. Most of my friends hate it because it's hard to get any rhythm due to its undulations, adverse cambers and of course its mud but I love it because of those things. On the start line I noticed two local international runners, Messrs Wicks and Warnby. I knew I had to be on top of my game to challenge them, so didn't fancy my chances after a heavy week. The gun went bang, I was suddenly in the zone. I knew I wouldn't be able to keep up for the whole race but wanted to see how far I could get. I could just about see them throughout the first lap, but as soon as it was over, so was I.
I slipped out of my zone and the going got hard. I struggled up the hills and couldn't get myself going on the flat. It was as if my body had shut down, saving my engine for another race. I couldn't get my head together and slipped back from third to fifth. I knew I was more than capable of beating the two who'd past me but I just couldn't do it today.

I was quite frustrated, as well as anxious ahead of Sunday's Hell Runner. I'd struggled for pace and my personal “Achilles heal” was the hills. Hell Runner was all about hills, as well as running through bogs, lakes and sand!
I was more relaxed on Sunday morning. The race was to be a bit of fun, something different to my normal long Sunday slog. There was a friendly atmosphere and I felt more comfortable towing the line than I had the day before. In the back of my mind I had the memory of struggling in the second half of the race, and as we had over ten miles to cover I decided to sit off the pace.

I felt OK as I pulled away from the pack behind the leader. I followed him closely through the first technical section. I nearly went A*%! over T*t! and quickly decided at that point to hit the front so I could see what I was doing. As the whole race was run around Longmore Army base the course was very tricky. Tanks had churned everything up and the largest puddles I've ever seen had formed everywhere. I got into a rhythm of sorts and pulled away. I enjoyed every second. You have to concentrate the whole way or you are bound to fall. You are constantly looking at your foot placement as well as looking ahead for the quickest, safest and driest route. I even loved the fifty-metre long bog section. The spectators had gathered, I suspect to laugh at us fools getting very, very wet and muddy. The water soon rose to my armpits and as the crowd cheered and laughed, I decided wading through was too slow, front crawl was the only option. This delighted the crowd and spurred me on. It was soon over, there was just three miles of fun to go, and I wish it could have been more.

I was happy to win, but I was more pleased with how I'd bounced back from a disappointing run the day before. It was just one of those days where things just didn't quite click. But it's over and the race wasn't really that important to me. What is important to me is that I'm training well and I'm illness and injury free.

No comments: