Monday 3 November 2008

Training 13th - 19th October

I went to bed on Saturday, pleased with my race, looking to push on the next day with a long run and a full weeks worth of quality training. This plan was somewhat hindered by the agro my legs were giving me when I woke up - a result of my sprint finish the day before.
Having not sprinted at full pelt for quite a while my legs took offence to my wanting them to work to their maximum. I know from playing football and tennis that my legs don't like doing things out of their norm. They are used to the levels of stress they are put under whilst pounding out the miles, but not sprinting one hundred yards. It caused an excess amount of stretching to my legs, particularly my quads, which left me as stiff as an old board on Sunday, and rather than pushing on during my long run, it was a case of going through the motions and doing as much as I could stand.
This was frustrating, to say the least.
Monday’s training was slow. This was partly so I didn't damage my muscles further and partly because I don't think I could have gone any faster. A lot of stretching and self massage went on, as well as a number of hot baths, so hot they left me sweatier than after a hard run! All of this, to loosen up the angry muscle fibres.
By Tuesday my legs felt suppler. I took my morning run extra carefully so that my legs would be in some sort of shape to attempt the evening track session, which actually went slightly better than I had expected. I thought I would be off the back of the group before we'd even completed a lap. Hence I was pleased that I was able to grimly hang on to the back of the pack, even taking my stint at pacing a rep at the front. Admittedly, every one sped past with a hundred metres to go, but my times remained constant and my aerobic capacity wasn't drastically stretched - it was just my tight legs letting me down a bit.

After chatting with my coach about my tightness, I never buy a round of drinks! And after his observation of my lack of zip, it was decided that until Saturday I was simply to do a number of easy runs. (Nothing more than fifty minutes, nothing less than thirty). This would enable me to keep up my fitness levels, but also giving my legs some time to recover. A lot more stretching, and hot baths also took place. I'm starting to get worried about our next water bill, what with showers twice a day after training, plus numerous hot and cold baths. I think I'll blame the leaky outside tap!

By Saturday I was almost back to normal. Only a small amount of stiffness remained, but my legs did feel a little jaded, perhaps as a result of having hot baths instead of my favourite revitalising cold ones, as well as an excessive amount of stretching which can fatigue muscles slightly. Having said that, the session was solid enough. A stable Saturday diet of tempo running, hill reps and long sprints. I eased back a little during the sprints knowing that the exaggerated stride length and over stretching of my quads lead to my problems this week. But the tempo was solid and my hill reps showed me signs of improvement.
Sunday’s final run of the week was one of the most enjoyable runs I've had in a while. I hadn't actually wanted to do it. I cried off joining the others for the long run in the morning. I felt tired and slightly demotivated, and after drawing back the curtains to reveal a dull damp day, I went back to bed!
By two in the afternoon I still didn't feel much like it but I forced myself. It was a fine line between doing a run and watching the football, but the run won. As soon as I hit the country I felt great. I had a high from actually pushing myself out the door, and it all felt so easy. An hour and a half flew by in no time. It was one of those runs when you almost feel like you could go on forever. You breeze up every hill and fly down the other side. I felt ready for another week’s hard work.

No comments: