Thursday 20 November 2008

Training 3rd November - 9th November + Race

As the days get shorter and colder my love for running gets larger. I can't describe the satisfaction I get from finishing a run plastered in mud from top to bottom. I much prefer donning my gloves in winter than my sunglasses in the summer. I get a heightened sense of achievement running in the wind and rain knowing that the average “joe” would never be out running when the temperature gets into minus figures - it makes me feel special, different.

The fact that I can really feel my fitness improving also helps. I feel so much stronger than I did just two months ago. My level of fatigue on my longer slower runs is much less, and my faster sessions are just that, faster! Being in the middle of a spell of racing also does its bit. I'd gone for so long without racing that I'd lost a little hunger and passion. I begin to get excited a few days before each race, which aids my training. You have that bit more bounce in your legs, you have a goal to aim for and that inspires you. Post race as long as things have gone well, which 'touch wood' they have so far, you get a high which spurs you on for a few days after the race. You've run well, and now your training well, it's all money in the bank so when the next race comes, you'll be even better. Due to racing every weekend for a month I'm on a continuous roundabout. I get inspired by my race Thursday Friday Saturday, I do my race, then bask in the glory on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday!

This week’s goal was the second cross-country league match. Having won the first race I wanted to keep it going but knew I would face tough opposition in the guise of John Hamblen, who'd run me close in the first race, and beaten my time in the relay last weekend.
However, I was confident with an easier finish to my weeks training I would feel fresher and stronger than last week.

Three steady runs on Monday and Tuesday morning eased out the legs after a weekends racing, and prepared them for a long speed session Tuesday night. It was to be the infamous 'Ham Gate' session in Richmond Park. I'd been told about this beast of a run back in the summer! It included a long three-mile warm up, through a pitch black Richmond Park, which is surprisingly busy with cyclists and dog walkers, even though you could barely see your hand in front of your face. The session involved a loop broken into two sections of 800 and 1200 metres, completed four times. It was easily the longest speed session I'd ever done, but I felt quite good throughout, keeping a little bit back for Saturdays race. We then had to run home, this time not through the park. We'd apparently got out just in time during our warm up as there was a dear cull going on!! If it moves they'll shoot it. I didn't fancy explaining that particular injury to the physio!

On Wednesday, as with last week, I did an easy short morning run to shake out the stiffness from the night before. I then headed down to the gym to work on my legs. I felt a lot happier with what I was doing this time round. I was more disciplined with weight levels, rep numbers and recoveries. This all meant I felt no soreness, unlike last week. My body and my mind quickly got into the grove of including leg based weights exercises into my routine, which psychologically made me feel stronger and more powerful than last week. I finished the day with a strong fifty minute run, through lots of mud and lots of puddles - great practice for the weekends cross country, especially as the weather reports didn't look good.

Thursday’s tempo session was cut back by my coach into ten x thirty second sprints with thirty seconds recovery. As with Wednesdays run I went off road and really enjoyed flying through the mud during my sprints. I frightened the living daylights out of two dog walkers and a little bambie, who's lucky enough to reside on Epsom Common rather than the 'shoot em up' that is Richmond Park! An easy run Thursday night and another short easy run Friday with my pre race ritual of three times thirty second strides and I was ready for the weekends race.

All Saturday morning the rain fell like it was going out of fashion. I wasn't worried for the race, but I hate warming up in the rain as everything gets wet and cold. You’re then expected to use your frozen hands to pin on your number and tie up your spikes laces, which takes five times as long when you cant feel your fingers. Thankfully, as if by magic, when we pulled into the car park the sun started shining, so we all happily warmed up and got ready for the race.

I was feeling a little nervous, I really wanted to win, and that was adding extra pressure. As I did my final few strides in preparation I noticed my adversary Mr Hamblen. Then I noticed he was wearing his jeans and was obviously not running! It was as if a weight had been lifted. I knew my task had been made easier, a cold had forced him out, but I slightly wished we could have had a good old churn up between us.

As soon as we were called to the start the heavens reopened. I didn't mind one bit, it would make the race more fun, and I knew all my clothes were safely packed away in my highly professional black bin bag, for which I had been mocked due to it’s lack of style and old woman nature, but at least when I got back, my clothes would still be dry!

I ran the race in a really relaxed fashion, taking the lead after about a mile and pulling ahead, gaining a nice cushion that meant I finished comfortably in one piece. I was really disappointed I didn't have my challenger as the course suited me down to the ground. Steep climbs, fast furious descents, mud, puddles, and rhythm breaking twists and turns. I loved every second. My joy was complete when the rain stopped just in time for me to put my nice dry cloths back on. A perfect days racing!

Come Sunday morning I really noticed the difference to finishing a race comfortably rather than on your knees. I flew round my long run, reminding myself not to push too hard. That post race high was working well - long may it continue.

No comments: