Monday 7 January 2008

1st - 4th January 2008

Training Report:

Training this week has been really low key and relaxed, as I eased down for the county championships on Saturday. I met up with friends as much as possible who were also easing back to ensure that I didn't get any urges to work hard and waste my energy. It's a strange feeling when you ease off, your legs feel full of energy and bounce and are willing you to use them properly. You have to keep reminding yourself to run slowly and to stick to the length of run that's been scheduled, and not get carried away, regardless of how good you feel. It's also a strange sensation psychologicaly. You feel that a gentle twenty minute run will make you slower come race day. Your head seems to think a hard 45 minutes or some hill reps will make you fitter and stronger come race day. To do that would give you confidence that you're running well, so when you toe the start line you know you're in good shape, but to give your body an extra few days to recover from the months of training is ultimatley the better option. Well I hope so anyway!

I always do the same session the day before a race. An easy 25 minute run which includes three thirty second fast strides with thirty seconds recovery. I like my legs to get a fast turn over the day before. But at only thirty seconds in length and only three reps it won't tire me out at all.

My new non chocolate diet is going ok, I decided not to go cold turkey, I've had enough cold turkey this Christmas! But I made sure other than my occasional bit of chocolate I ate lots of fruit and veg this week as well as the distance runner's trusty friend carbohydrates. Along with stretching and sitting in ice baths it was all I could do to ensure I was ready to do myself and my training justice.

No comments: