Thursday 3 January 2008

22nd - 31st December

Training Report:

Christmas is always quite a strange period in athletics. For me it's a key period halfway through the cross country season, with all the major championships ready to come thick and fast in the New Year, yet things seem to shut down. My track is closed for two weeks over the Christmas period, and races seem non existent unless is some kind of inter club race that's more about having a laugh than running seriously. Don't get me wrong, I'm the first person in line to have fun, it's just a little frustrating when it all comes at a crucial phase of the season.

My one weakness at Christmas is chocolate; alcohol I can quite easily say no to, but chocolate is a different matter. It's an addiction that I may need to seek help for. If it's in the house, it must be eaten. It calls me over, taunting me, goading me into consuming one, two, eight bars at a time. Thanks to kind friends and relatives we had four tins of 'Roses' and 'Quality Street' in the house, they won't make the New Year! The guilt I suffer every morning is terrible, as I wake up surrounded by shiny rappers and melted chocolate stains on my duvet! For sure I know what my New Year's resolution will be! But I may need to join 'Chocoholics Anonymous' to help me through the dark lonely times.

As far as training is concerned, touch wood, I still seem to be running well. It is a little harder to push myself out of the door at this time of the year, especially when 'Jurassic Park 2' and 'Home alone 3' are on the TV! With a week to go until the Surrey County Championships I did my last hard speed session on the 30th. With my track closed I was forced to run my 6 x mile reps on the road. I actually find this session a lot more enjoyable out on the road. You can push and relax during the rep without the constant lap times being read out, plus running on an undulating course is more representative of what I'll face in races, rather than the flat surface of the track. I managed to average a fraction over 5 minutes for each mile, and felt strong and in control. It was one of those runs where you're so focused and relaxed that you feel you could go on forever. And with a last mile of well under 5 minutes I was happy that all the chocolate eating hadn't taken its toll too much!
I'm going to spend New Year's eve being a good/sad git athlete. I'll be at home watching TV with my last chocolate bar in my hand! I may even get an early night to get ready for a new year of training!

No comments: