Monday 7 January 2008

Saturday 5th January: Surrey County Championships

Result - 2nd

Race Report:

I was really focused for Saturday's race. I like to have a laugh with my team mates and friends at races, which I did as it helps with any nerves that I sometimes get before even the smallest of races. But with about ten minutes before the start I got tunnel vision. I psyched myself up and I knew I was in good shape, I knew I was ready.

Before the start I had a few plans. Surrey is quite a strong county so I knew there would be lots of good athletes to contend with. I also knew I would most likely be scrapping over second place as Phil Wicks the national half marathon champion and GB world cross country representative was running. And although I have strong hopes of challenging him one day, I knew at the moment he was in a league of his own. So I decided to stick with the chasing pack to start with as 7.5 miles in quite muddy conditions is a long slog.

The gun went and my initial plan was chucked out after thirty seconds. Phil went straight into the lead as predicted but the chasing pack seemed to be showing too much respect and was going a bit too slow. Not surprising really, given the race was only half a minute old and would last for over forty, but I decided to go with Phil for a mile or so in the hope I would get a gap and I could hide from the rest; out of sight out of mind. And I guess it worked! I finished in second all alone. Phil was well ahead and the chasing pack were out of sight.

It was a hard race on my own. Putting myself in second after only 400 metres and then focusing on staying there when I had no one to work with, and knew that the others were hunting me like a pack of dogs. As I began my last lap after five miles of running I was wondering if I'd made the right choice. I was tired and had a few doubts as to whether I would last. But I told myself that I'd put myself in this position and to get on with it, and I guess I did. I was over the moon to come second, and shows a good improvement from my fifth place last year. Now I'm focused on making up for a poor performance last year when representing Surrey at the inter counties.

I think I owe a little credit to my brother who inspired me to make my move so early on. For Christmas he got me a picture of a litte known American runner named Steve Perfontaine, with his quote, 'To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.' And for once I really think I did give my best!

No comments: